P.O. Box 26401
Rep. of South Africa
OUR BASIC WEB HOSTING PACKAGE
We have assembled a basic basket of features that is perfect for a small to medium web business. Actually, when you check the features you may wonder how we can call it "basic". Where technical terms are unavoidable we have tried to provide layman explanations.
Note: Many people take exception to the term UNLIMITED - so where you encounter this term please read it to mean "as many as you need".
1. A 20 MB block of storage space on our web server. Most web sites use much less than half of this. More space can be made available as an optional extra.
2. UNLIMITED email addresses. This allows each customer to have multiple email boxes like email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
3. UNLIMITED email aliases. Aliases are multiple addresses for the same email box. Alias email addresses can also be configured to “forward” mail to any other email address you may already have with your current ISP.
4. UNLIMITED email auto-responders. An auto-responder, as its name implies, automatically sends an immediate reply to a person sending you email – normally something along the lines of “We have received your mail and will deal with it as soon as possible”.
5. IMAP email support. This is a newer email protocol that differs from the POP3 protocol to which we have become accustomed. Email packages like MS-Outlook and MS-Outlook Express can receive email using this protocol. One of the significant differences is that IMAP allows you to see the subject of the email in your mailbox without having to actually download the mail message. You can also delete the mail directly from the server without downloading it – handy for large unwanted messages on slow modem connections.
6. Default email address. This is used as a “catch-all” email address – its function is to capture email that has been incorrectly addressed (because of spelling errors, etc.) and reroute it to a valid email address. This ensures that even incorrect email gets delivered instead of being returned to the sender.
7. Spam relay protection. This stops malicious spammers from using your outgoing mail server to send their adverts and make it look like it was you.
8. UNLIMITED FTP access to the area of the server where your web pages are stored. This allows each of our clients to upload their own changes to their own web site as needed.
9. Support for Active Server Pages (ASP).
10. Full support for Microsoft® FrontPage® 2000 server extensions – for web sites that were designed using MS- FrontPage®.
11. Full support for Microsoft® InterDev 6.0 extensions – for web sites designed using this development environment.
13. Microsoft® Index Server – a web site indexing tool provided on our server that enables your web site to be searchable by keyword.
14. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) support. This is the protocol used for secure web pages and e-commerce. You will need to purchase your own digital ID from Thawte or VeriSign. Although it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you obtain your own digital ID if your are going to use SSL for e-commerce, you can use the one on our server as a last resort.
15. ODBC support for the following database connections – Access, Paradox, dBase, Visual FoxPro, Text driver, Excel Driver, SQL Server 7.0. You can have an UNLIMITED number of DSN-less connections to your databases for FREE. If you need ODBC DSN connections there is an additional monthly fee.
16. Your own CGI-BIN directory for installing your own custom scripts.
17. Anonymous FTP – allows you to provide files for downloading by your visitors. This service is limited to downloads only – your visitors will not be able to upload files to your server.
18. Error document access – you can design your own ERROR-404 pages so that your clients can be redirected back to your website, or be given meaningful information, if they type in the wrong address in their browser.
19. Real Media streaming (RealAudio® and/or RealVideo® files) by http streaming or by Real Audio basic server.
20. Access to a collection of handy tools/scripts that is already preinstalled on our server and ready for you to incorporate into your web site. An example of this is ASPMail which can email the results of fields in web forms.
21. Daily backup of all data to tape.
22. Full time battery backup – ensures maximum up time for your web site.
23. Access is provided to your raw log files. These are the files containing all the information about who visits your site. They can be downloaded and interpreted via software on your computer. Analog is a freely available software utility that can interpret these log files. Alternatively, as an optional extra and for a small additional fee we have a Statistics Server to provide statistics online in real-time.
24. We provide complimentary assistance with the paperwork/applications necessary for the registration of your own domain – either with Uniforum for co.za domains, or with Internic for .com domains. If you do not already have your own domain then we will register a .COM one for you FOR FREE as an introductory gift to you for entrusting your web site to us.
25. We provide 24/7 technical support. We ourselves have access to 24/7 technical support in Seattle as well.
TRAFFIC COSTS. No matter how popular your web site gets you will
not be charged any extra for traffic.
Site created and hosted by search engine placement and ranking specialists - BusinessNet.
Page last updated on 06 June 2001.